Saturday, January 8, 2011

Little Bee by Chris Cleave




Originally published in the UK under the title 'The Other Hand,'  Chris Cleave's 2008 novel was released in the United States with the new title of Little Bee.  I think this was a huge mistake.  I'm not sure why book publishers thought giving this novel a cuter title and a sweeter cover would make it sell better in the US.  I've passed by this book for months because I thought it was another cozy book club read like The Secret Life of Bees or Akeelah and the Bee, and I just didn't feel in the mood.  Call me shallow, but the novel might have made it to my night stand sooner had I seen the original UK cover.  I guess I'm a dilettante when it comes to wine and books.  Sometimes I do judge by the cover (or the label as it may be).

Little Bee follows the story of two women, a Nigerian refugee who flees to London, and a stylish suburban magazine editor.  Their lives become intertwined through events that are very tragic and disturbing but sometimes seem forced and manipulated.  The novel clips along at a fast pace which makes it a good January read that is difficult to put down.    I am surprised, though,  that it was listed as an Editor's Choice in the New York Times Book Review.  Deeper character development and a slower resolution to the narrative conflicts (especially the ending) would make this novel much stronger.  One character in particular does shine - a four year boy who is convinced he is Batman.  Batman (aka. Charlie) is convinced the world is divided into the 'baddies' and the 'goodies.'  This little man leaps off the pages as Cleave weaves the story.  Unfortunately, sometimes the story itself is too easily divided into the baddies and the goodies.  This renders it a bit shallow in its attempt to tackle big subjects (immigration, death, oil wars, adultery, grief).  

But, despite my critique, I'll admit I was entertained reading Little Bee.  Challenged to think about immigration policy in our own country, I  also enjoyed a good story at the same time.  So, give it a try, and let me know if you, too, think it should still be called The Other Hand.


1 comment:

  1. I read this book last spring and was engaged with the story, although I too thought the character depths weak. There could have been so much more to the story given the heavy topics! Overall worth reading as the story goes. Not a classic by any stretch. The Nigerian immigrant was the character who engaged my empathy the most...how hard to be in that position. And, yes, it does make one consider how immigration should be addressed.

    ReplyDelete