Sunday, August 28, 2011

University of Blogspot

Next month marks the fourth anniversary since the very first post appeared on "Little Family in the Big City."  Four years of blogging the ends and outs, the mundane and the dramatic, have passed.  Four years.   The  time it takes to earn an undergraduate degree.  The time it takes to move across the Continental Divide, help plant a church, and move back across the Continental Divide to an entirely different city in an entirely new region of the country.

Since I consider myself the nostalgic type (why not put that History major to use somehow), I thought a moment down memory lane was deserved.

Where were you four years ago?  Consider the following to give yourself some perspective...

In September 2007
  • Facebook had only been available to the public for about a year
  • The IPhone just hit the market months before in January 
  • Netflix was experimenting with streaming movies instead of just mailing them
  • The Wii had been on the market less than a year
  • No major movies had yet been made about a blog (Julie & Julia was released in 2009- I'm not sure how she beat out Little Family in the Big City.  Still trying to figure that one.)
  • George Bush was still in the White House
and on a more personal level...
  • we had just moved into our home in Portland, OR
  • there are comments on those first posts from Oma, Jason's dear grandmother who went to be with her Lord in 2008 (followed by Opa in 2009 and my Granmama in 2010)
  • Eleanor had just learned to do this...
  • and Jason had just purchased this...his Xtracycle

  • and blogger wouldn't let me post a picture any bigger than this


People always tell you "it goes so fast."  It starts to sound a bit trite, but I guess things get trite because somewhere in there there is some truth.  Children grow. Life changes.  We long for what was because in many ways we are so deeply longing for what will be.   I think it is good to remember.  I think it helps us understand today.  Where were you four years ago?  How have you changed?  What do you, today, want to remember?

3 comments:

  1. You were the one to tell me to start a blog! Ha! Even though I'm not near a good a writer as you, I'm still loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, I love your blog. It is fun isn't it? Thanks for all your support along the way and for continuing to check in. Keep posting those pictures of Burl..I love them! You are an amazing photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four years ago, right about now, I was just beginning to think about going back to school after 30 years away. Today, I have finished my ASN and am now a Registered Nurse. Alot of people thought it was just a dream that I would start and not finish, but I finished and am ever so proud of myself!
    Caroline, I love your blog! Please keep writing. Maybe some day it will turn into a book...or even a movie! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete