Saturday, August 20, 2011

an L ticket and a camera


Chicago is a city of neighborhoods.  Dozens of them.  This fall my exploration begins.  With an L ticket in hand and a camera in my pocket I want to discover these neighborhoods and share them with you. Greektown. Chinatown. Little Italy. Little Village (Mexican). Polish. Ukrainian Village. Bucktown. Wicker Park. Gold Coast.  Each neighborhood is a culture unto its own with restaurants, bakeries, museums, and architecture unique as the people who settled there.

If you have some suggestions for me...

your favorite Chicago neighborhood, a neighborhood you've always wanted to explore, or any other advice I'd love it!  I can be your legs and eyes in this immense wonderland of a city.  Start here with this very fun  MAP.  It is an interactive map of Chicago neighborhoods. Click on any neighborhood and discover the unique cultural mosaic that is Chicago.

Or watch this PBS documentary by Geoffrey Baer called "Chicago by L."  

Leave a comment or drop an email to me with your top neighborhood picks.  Or better yet, come for a visit and we'll explore together.  I can't wait!



3 comments:

  1. Great map! Wish I lived closer to explore the area with you....then again, we might have some free time really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. If I make it back up to Chicagoland again with some extra time, maybe I could explore the Ukrainian Village with you and Jason and your girls. Sorry to have missed you guys a couple weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete