Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard

A few weeks ago I posted that "snow days" don't happen in Chicago.
Well, I was wrong.

For the first time since 1999 Chicago Public Schools decide to close for weather.

up to 60 mile/hr winds
at least 2 feet of snow 
waves as high as 20 ft on Lakeshore Dr.
perhaps the biggest blizzard since 1967
(jason says he'll believe it when he sees it)

my first winter in Chicago
baptism by fire...or snow as it may be.




Before the blizzard begins I take Roscoe for a quick walk down to the lake to take some pictures of the huge swells on Lake Michigan.  My little camera doesn't catch much because the wind is blowing so hard I can't hold the camera still,  my hands are freezing, and mostly because Roscoe REALLY doesn't want to be there.


 Some ice sculptures form from the drips of the warm bridge above.





Summer's a long way away at the sailing club...

but the tractors are ready


 Picking up the girls early from school...
They won't pose for me but another mom throws a smile my way.
oh the wind is COLD.


And this is Alec. 
 He is our crossing guard extraordinaire.  He is 75 years old and was raised in Mississippi picking cotton before the Civil Rights movement.  
He's promises me when it warms up he'll tell me his story one afternoon before school lets out.  
I can't wait to hear it and write it down.  
Alec makes me smile every day.  I like his outfit today.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll be drinking hot chocolate, reading books, and digging out the snowshoes!


1 comment:

  1. Stunning pictures, frightening weather. Yesterday I decided it was too cold for flip-flops, but just barely.

    ReplyDelete