Friday, December 10, 2010

Iconic American Christmas

As I walk the streets of our little North Shore village of Wilmette, I try to find the right word to describe what it feels like.  Today I find it.

i·con·ic

[ahy-kon-ik]
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
2. executed according to convention or tradition.



You say Christmas.  I say Wilmette. 
Picture a Christmas card, a holiday movie, or the holiday decorations your mother faithfully put out each year and you have a good idea of our new neighborhood/village.
And now, I dare you.  Scroll through the pictures I took this morning and prove me wrong.

The POLAR EXPRESS?
Nope, just the Metra (Chicago's commuter train) pulling into our village station.



The old theater with decorated lampposts



Our house.  Ha!  Just kidding. 
 Rynn continues to give me a hard time that I have not put wreaths on our windows. 
 Note, the American flag still flies even at Christmas.

Their backyard ice rink ready for some backyard hockey practice.  This is surprisingly common in Wilmette.  People actually construct an ice rink in their own backyards and it stays frozen all winter (this is new stuff for those of us who haven't ever lived in the Midwest!).


White Picket Fences with Greenery and Bows.  

Turn of the century architecture (and more American flags)


Front Porches

Cobblestone Streets


Candy Canes

And Snowmen

See!  I told you!
Thanks Mom for sending a childhood favorite to be resurrected for a new generation!

1 comment:

  1. If Jason tried to grow hops for his own beer in Oregon, I sure as hell bet he's going to make an ice skating rink. That guy gets stuff done!

    Called it!

    ReplyDelete