Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

Looking for a thought provoking movie to watch on these dark winter days?  Don't let the shoulder pads and big hair turn you away from this classic Woody Allen film.  The timelessness of this film is in the questions it asks about relationships, the human heart, our purpose on this planet, and the search for the meaning of life.

This film was first recommended to me a decade ago by one of my favorite seminary professors, Dr. Bill Edgar.  He regularly (or used to anyway) uses this movie as a discussion springboard with his students.  Sometimes it takes ten years to follow up on a movie suggestion, but I'm glad I finally did.  Woody Allen's insight into people and the intricate workings of our hearts over our heads (or sometimes not over but with) is fascinating.    The story follows three sisters, their lives and complicated relationships.  Woody Allen is hilarious as a desperate hypochondriac searching for God.  He says to a Hare Krishna, "I was born Jewish but last winter I tried to become Catholic...but it didn't work for me.  You see Christians want you to die first and pay later."

Other provoking lines from characters include:


"The reason they (the puzzled experts) cannot answer the question 'How could it (the Holocaust) happen?' is that it is the wrong question.  Given what people are, the question is 'Why doesn't it happen more often?.' Of course, it does, in subtler forms."

And one of my favorites...
"For all my education, accomplishment, and so called wisdom, I cannot fathom my own heart."

Hannah and her Sisters is a very well done movie.  Watch it with someone.  You'll want to talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. You're the 2nd person in the last three weeks to recommend this. Chris and I are watching a lot of older movies. I'm going to put this one in line!

    ReplyDelete