Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lincoln Park Zoo



While Jason is hard at work at his new job at Grace we are hard at play in our new playground of Chicago.  With school only a few weeks away we are taking advantage of these beautiful summer days to continue discovering the city.  Today the girls wanted to see the zoo, so we spent FIVE hours exploring the nation's oldest zoo.  It is also one of the last FREE zoos in the country (if you don't count the $25 they charge for parking!).  Filled with beautiful pots, gardens, flowers, and old brick buildings immaculately maintained the zoo is really quite stunning.  And if you get bored of the animals (not likely) just look up at the horizon for a view of Lake Michigan.  


Some map discussion and big sister irritation.



Once again...stunning gardens around every turn.



The zoo beautifies itself with the flowers but it is also so very CLEAN, a characteristic of Chicago in general.  I am continually amazed at how a city this size is so tidy.  I guess if they can reverse the flow of the CHicago River away from Lake Michigan then they can figure out how to throw away their trash.  I'm impressed.

Life still feels like we are on an extended vacation visiting a new city.  Sometimes I still have dreams I need to catch a plane to get back to Portland.  I still check Portland's weather every day and think about people there, the air and the light so unique to the Pacific NW, and my 'other' life that changed so quickly.  But, at the same time, I am growing to really like this place called Chicago.  It truly is a beautiful city, an amazing American city, that is in many ways a microcosm of the United States with all its different neighborhoods, languages, and cultures all living together in a place that somehow manages to feel so "all American" at the same time.  Around every corner is a new adventure and everything still feels so fresh and exciting.
Rynn grabbed my arm and shouted, "Hey Mommy, check this out!  They named the chimps after my grandmothers!  I guess they decided to use a 'K' instead of a 'C' though."
This was my favorite dude in the zoo.  His 'cool cat' Meerkat gaze is awesome.

3 comments:

  1. wish we could have joined you for a visit to the zoo. we will miss being able to roam a zoo with your family! looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Gretchen's comment....a family trip to the zoo with Grammy and Pops is on the agenda for a future date! Parkers included! Chicago bound. When? Your guess is as good as mine.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you've already discovered some of chicago's jems! Makes me nostalgic! We are up in Wisconsin having a grand time and will be in chicago next week. Are you free on Tuesday to join us in Lincoln Square for family fun night? You can reach me on facebook:)

    ReplyDelete