Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fresh Picks!


Chicago just got better, and my homesickness for Oregon food has been assuaged.  I discovered Irv & Shelly's Fresh Picks last week and my veggie craving desires have been granted.  With the mere click of a mouse I can order a box of fresh fruit or vegetables all of which are local (including WI, IN, and IL), organic, and come from farms which support sustainable farming practices.  Pretty much, Irv & Shelly have done all the hard work to enable me to be self righteous in my eating :).  And ALL delivered right to my doorstep for a price much cheaper than Whole Foods and a lot less effort.  Included in each order is a sheet which has a list of each vegetable in the box, which farm the vegetable came from, and a recipe suggestion for how to cook it.  There is something soothing to the soul in chopping beautiful fresh vegetables in an array of rainbow colors and then watching my children eat them!  And by ordering a 'fresh picks box' I am surprised each week by what seasonal produce arrives.  It has challenged me to try new things such as collards, kale, celery, and cabbage which I might not have grabbed in a quick grocery store run.   Here is a recipe we tried last night which all of us (even kids!) enjoyed:


Red Cabbage (Windy Ridge Farm Hillsboro, WI)
In a blender, combine 1/2 cup Orange Juice, 1/4 cup Lime Juice, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, 1 TBSP honey, 1/4 oil, salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.  Chop or shred your cabbage and place in a large bowl.  Allow the cabbage to marinate in the dressing for 30 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think you could convince them to open a branch in Chattanooga to deliver local produce to folks around here?

    I love the pictures of your girls playing with their food!

    ReplyDelete