Sunday, September 13, 2009

Remember Ramona?

Do you remember Ramona Quimby? The infamous character created by Beverly Cleary fifty years ago? I loved and devoured all the Ramona books the summer after my fourth grade year. I remember going to swim team practice in the morning and then, before my hair was even dry, curling up on my flowered comforter with a Beverly Cleary book. So, it was with some sentimental remembrance that I checked out some Ramona books on tape to listen to with the girls on our long drive to Montana. Not surprising, Rynn and Eleanor were as smitten with Ramona as I had been. Her lively personality, her creativity, and her unique child's perspective on the world are timeless. One of the exciting things about our neighborhood in Portland is that it was (well, technically we are about ten blocks from the actual streets) Beverly Cleary's neighborhood. The pool, the parks, the streets where Ramona rode her bike are the same places my girls and I have romped this summer. It seemed fitting then that we would spend the last really warm Saturday of our passing summer at our neighborhood pool Grant and then in the park next door playing with Ramona in the fountain dedicated to her.
Leaving the pool for the last time 'til next year...

Eleanor wanted me to take a picture of her favorite tree which she has named "The NOSE tree." I think Eleanor and Ramona may be related.







Rynn and 'Ribsy'



Friday marked Eleanor's first day of preschool at her new school Childswork. It was an Open House so I got to spend the morning with her. I was so inspired by her room that I want to go to preschool and play! So many nooks and crannies to explore and discover. Her teachers seem wonderful- Molly who specializes in art and Daniel who is a music teacher and will be incorporating music into the classroom.
There is something about this year that seems a bit magical. Perhaps it is that this is my last year before I have two children in school full time. I find myself wanting to treasure every moment as though it were slipping through my fingers. I wish I could somehow immortalize childhood as Beverly Cleary did in Ramona. When I tell people that I have a First Grader I find myself almost choking over the words. Is it really possible that I have a child older than kindergarten?
Rynn's comment on First Grade- "Mommy, you have to listen to the teacher and do what she says THE WHOLE DAY. It isn't like kindergarten at all." But when I asked her if Japanese was difficult or if she didn't understand the teacher she looked at me like,"mom, what is your problem?" and said, "Why wouldn't I understand the teacher? Of course I understand the teacher. Japanese is fun." I'm so jealous.


Exploring little stuff (Eleanor's favorite...finding treasures) at the nature table.



Painting



Crafting


Screwing screws



Exploring the treehouse.












No comments:

Post a Comment