Monday, February 1, 2010

Spring's Frontline Battle

Hey Portland readers (all two of you),
Has anyone else noticed the harbingers of spring shouting from hidden garden corners or beside mossy sidewalks? Today, on a very rainy run, I saw Lenten rose and daffodils waging their frontline war on winter. Even the rhododendrons are pregnant with blossoms that seem longing to burst open and sing their merry tune. Spring seems to be poking her head up through the damp, muddy earth a bit sooner this year.

(a photo of Lenten Rose in early spring taken from an online source)

I am reading an abbreviated version of The Secret Garden to my girls. Remember that line when Mary Lennox is asked what she would like most in all the world? She replies, "Please, sir, might I have a bit of earth." I felt that way today as I ran under moss covered tree branches, past puddles reflecting the falling raindrops, through mud that squeaked in my shoes, and by the first yellow daffodils of spring whose trumpeting grace shouts, "The earth is coming ALIVE!."

1 comment:

  1. The earth is FAR far from alive in Colorado...still really frozen! I am looking forward to a taste of green and some early bloomers peeking their faces up to the sun (when it appears)! Terry and I have found the winter a bit discouraging this year....longing for warm days and cool evenings.

    ReplyDelete