Monday, January 12, 2009

Muddy Boots and Green Sidewalks

Oregon winters and the things I:
LOVE
the rain
moss growing on the sidewalks & trees
quiet evenings to read, write, or cuddle
the moist smell of the forest in our local park
hot yoga
DON'T SO MUCH LOVE
the rain
mud everywhere
dog poop on my sidewalk that isn't Jake's (OK..I'm a hypocrite)
dark at 4:45pm
the funky smell in my car
BUT BEST OF ALL...(for today anyway)
And the award winner for today for things I love in this city we call Portland is my library. I've always loved libraries, but my love affair has gotten steamier since living in Multnomah County. Today, Eleanor and I returned a stack of books and movies, got a new stack of books and movies, ate free apples, AND I picked up a brand new fresh copy of THE STUBBORN TWIG by Lauren Kessler. This book is the 2009 "Everybody Reads" book for our city. Free copies are stacked in the library for the taking (and keeping) as well as book clubs, discussions, etc...all over the city. And what makes it more fun is it is a book about three generations in the life of a Japanese American Family, so there are lots of other activities for kids surrounding Japanese culture. All this is sort of exciting since our almost six year old is speaking Japanese every night at dinner, and I'm feeling a bit out of the loop! So, anyway, I love my library.

Rynn ponders a new building toy from Grampa Bix. Tis the season for indoor activities in the evenings.

Our neighbor Gabriella reaches for a card in a cutthroat game of Memory while I finished dinner upstairs. Even Jake got in on the fun in the basement....he is also enjoying his only piece of furniture on which he is allowed in the house. I knew that floral print wing back would be good for something!

Jake says, "man, I'm tuckered out from watching these guys play cards...oh, and chasing my tennis ball about four million times."

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say...I don't think I could ever put Portland rain on my *love* list. For me, and your post...I *love*love*love* that Jake has you...and that Jake has a chair. Adorable picture.

    ReplyDelete