Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Thoughts

So, like most, I thought yesterday was a pretty amazing day. I'm stunned that over a million people descended upon DC. Wow. There is so much to say, so much to process, and so much to hope for. One of the things which stood out to me the most (and was pointed out to me by an NPR correspondent) was the 'peaceful transfer of power.' I got to thinking about how amazing this aspect of our country's government really is, and suddenly I'm back in the fifth grade learning about the balance of power! But, truly, it really is remarkable that two men with such different views can shake hands and within minutes a new leader is at the helm of one of the most powerful nations on earth. Throughout history and even today wars are fought in order for another to take power. That it can be done peacefully and gracefully is an awesome thing. I remember why I wanted to be a history major, why I am thankful to live here, and what I hope for my children's future.

To my family living in DC...post a comment and tell me what it was like being there yesterday (or did you wisely escape town?).

1 comment:

  1. Hello to my Oregon Family,

    We went into DC to see the Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams show at the National Portrait Gallery and viewed the protraits of all the past Presidents and the Lincoln masks after Christmas. The buzz and crowds were descending on the Capitol. Frank and I took Leigh and J.W. to the Capitol to see the tree and the stands where the Inauguration was to be held. The week before the Inauguration we went to a glass show at the Renwick which is right next door to the Blair House where Obama stayed the night before the big event. The viewing stand for the parade was built and a large rally for Palestine was being held.
    Unfortunately, or maybe not, we both had bad colds during the inauguration. I think we had the best seats in the house watching it on TV all day. My neigbor took the Metro, treked around the city, had standing tickets, but said she was too short to see the Jumbotron, because of all the people around her! Some were underground at the 3rd St. Station during the event, and a busload of third graders with tickets watched it in a bar because they couldn't get through PA Ave. Can you image keeping track of a busload of eight year olds during that event! Overall, though, it was an amazing,
    emotional, and wonderful day to experience.
    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete