Friday, October 5, 2007

Running in Circles

Today, as I ran in circles both literally and figuratively, I began to wonder why it is so easy to over plan, over schedule, and overstress about God's work in this world. In a desperate attempt to meet people, to become a "productive" church planter's wife, and to give my children every opportunity that is at their doorstep, I signed Eleanor up for gymnastics. With images of great grandeur for my tiny tow-headed two year old I walked into the Portland Parks and Rec studio with Eleanor loping slowly behind. Certainly, today would be the day I would meet ten new best friends that would surely become church members. And, while being the picture of community outreach and involvement, my dear Eleanor would astound all the teachers and parents with her forward rolls. The reality, as it turned out, was a knock down drag out wrestling match with a tantruming two year old who didn't want to put a sweater on, much less hop in circles.

So, running in circles around a rainbow colored parachute with a bunch of nannies, I thought, "What AM I doing??." I had turned down meeting a few moms from Rynn's school for coffee because Eleanor and I had an important engagement to run circles around a parachute. So, I got to thinking, "Why is it so hard to stop striving, to rest, and to trust God?." I went back to a BB Warfield sermon which I have often turned to. It is titled PEACE WITH GOD. He writes, "How can we obtain (peace)? It is not our peace; it is God's. We do not make it; He makes it. Its foundation is, of course, in Christ and Christ's work...We are at peace with God; our conscience knows it. But we may so seldom look to Him who is our Peace, and so much to ourselves, that we fail to take the true comfort and joy of our changed position" (BB Warfield, Faith & Life). Thank God for this true Peace! And thank God for no more Friday gymnastics!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. We all want our children to have many different life experiences but sometimes it is better to sit back and let life happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so funny.. I love your life stories and updates and I am very envious of your new surroundings.. I laughed so hard at your gymnastic story, it totally hit home.. yesterday I was asking Ellie and Ethan if they wanted to go to the Nature Center, Aquarium, Park, etc....Ellie said "how about stay home, is that an option?" Your mothers comment is so true. We miss you guys but love reading about your experiences keep it up. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete