Sunday, October 14, 2007

LINES AND LYNS


"So, how do you say your name again?," says the tenth person this week as I check my children into the nursery of a very large, growing Portland church. "CaroLINE?," they ask with surprise in their voice, "you don't usually hear it pronounced that way." I never knew that the name Caroline could be so challenging. And that is LINE, by the way, not "lyn." Apparently, in Oregon, people only know Carolyns. This has been the week of cultural surprises and surprised conversations. As the many faces of people whom I have met in Portland floated through my mind this morning in church, I began to think of the many conversations which spontaneously grew out of book clubs, play groups, or even a casual run with a new friend. "So, tell me again why you are here?? Now, how does one plant a church? Now, how is what you believe different from (fill in the blank)," people ask. The answers to these questions are a bit more involved than merely explaining that my name is indeed CaroLINE and not CaroLYN. Tentatively beginning to answer peoples' questions, I have grown shy and then self conscious that surely they must be growing bored. "NO! This is fascinating, " they reply, "I've never met people starting a church/I've never met people who still believe in the Bible/etc.." I try to hide my shock thinking how different this is from the world in which we left. In Chattanooga, I often felt shocked at the amount of common dialogue that was shared. Everyone, it seemed, at least had a cousin, uncle, or sister that was in some church. How different it is here!

As Jason and I celebrated our seventh anniversary today we rejoiced that God has brought us on this grand adventure to plant a church in Portland, OR. God is at work in His world and has won the victory in Christ. I was encouraged both in my faith and in our calling to this city by a sermon I heard this morning at a Portland church called Imago Dei. I encourage you to listen to it. I have included the link. When you click on it, scroll down and either download to your IPod or listen on your computer by clicking on "Launch Jukebox." There is about three minutes of announcements before he starts the sermon. Unload your dishwasher or pay a bill, but then enjoy hearing his sermon. Not only is it in a very "Portland style," but it is very helpful in understanding why we follow this Jesus anyway. http://www.imagodeicommunity.com/sermon/1000-conversations-part-4


Happy listening.

1 comment:

  1. Caroline, I will have to admitt that when we first moved to Chattanooga saying Caroline was very difficult for me. I am still not sure whether it is Wren or Rynn. :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete