Friday, May 13, 2011

Sea Glass and Pebbles

Chicago and Mother Nature have a volatile relationship. 
 One minute the air is a muggy 83 degrees.  But in the amount of time it takes to drink a cup of coffee the temperature will drop to 48 degrees. 
 Really, like in fifteen minutes. 
   
Yesterday was a gift from above.
An entire day of warm humidity and warm temperatures.  The girls and I stole a quick hour at the lake after school before trading in our flip flops for fleece today.





I'm pretty sure that children must have a different internal temperature.  
Within five minutes they both were waist deep in water that is measuring about 48 degrees.
Brrrrrrrr !!!!!!

We hunted for treasures.

And smiled a lot.
Which was good.





**I temporarily removed the following passage because I began to feel insecure about  being so self exposed on the internet.  But then I thought, "Who cares?  No one has to read this blog, and the people who do read it do care and hopefully they don't judge."  So, I put it back...and the comments too.  Thank you ,my dear readers, for letting me process my life through this silly thing we call a blog.  It helps, and I appreciate you. - Caroline

 I was beginning to adjust to rapid change and to call this Midwestern city home...until this week.
Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of the day Jason and I flew to Chicago for his interview with Grace.    It marks the one year anniversary since I took a thirty minute shower at the Doubletree Hotel waiting for the tears to stop flowing from my overly salted eyes.  I remember, in a moment of profound rationality during that shower, reasoning that maybe prostitution would be a good option if it enabled us to stay in Portland.  I mean, Jesus loved the hookers too, right?  Jason wasn't so excited about the idea.  So we accept with gratitude a wonderful job at an incredible church and are thankful.
Then the one year anniversary hits.  And our landlord says he wants to raise our rent.  We say no.  He says, "Ok. I'm going to sell the house."  Within days a sign is in our yard, realtors are calling, strangers are stepping over my bras to see the bathroom, and I begin to relive the emotions of doing all of this last May.  
It probably wasn't the best decision for my emotional health to choose this week to go to the DMV to finally get my Illinois driver's license.  After two hours of waiting and testing a state employee says, while dropping my Oregon license into the shredder, "Give me a pretty smile and look at the camera!." In minutes I'm handed a new red Illinois license with a picture of a puffy eyed lady wearing a pissed off smile staring back at me from the shiny new license.  Great.  
I admit it, I've got what Saturday night live calls "white people problems."  I've got a great husband who has a good job, two healthy children, and great schools.  Only problem is we've got no home as of June 30th.  This wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't have two small children happily enrolled in their neighborhood school and who don't need to be uprooted a year after we pulled them away from their friends to move across the country.  
Someone said to me this week, "I mean, you could be an African woman in Rwanda who is worrying about your children's hands being cut off with a machete."  True.  I could.  And maybe I'd have a lot more faith and know Jesus better.  Or maybe I'd just be really angry.  But I'm not.  Nor do I have cancer,  a bad marriage, or a husband away at war.  There is always a "what if"  or a "you could be as bad off as that person."  But does that negate the stress of our lives that each of us face?  No.  Not really.  Our own struggles are still there, our own questions, our own tears.
So what do we do with that stress?  Our anger with God?  How do we have faith in the mundane day to day struggle of walking by faith?  Is this life one long lesson in letting go of this life?
And then I look at these smiling beautiful pictures of my girls looking for 'treasures' at the lake yesterday.  Do I have eyes to look for the beautiful in what is in front of me?  Do I pray for new landscapes or for new eyes to see the one in which I am?
If you've read this far into my whiny navel gazing, thank you.  And I ask for your prayers for a home for us, one in which we can keep some stability for our children by keeping them in their school.  Because this spoiled rotten white girl is tired.


6 comments:

  1. Caroline, I'm so sorry! I don't know that it's really helpful to play the "it could be worse!" game, unless to think of ridiculous scenarios to make yourself laugh...
    I am convinced that your stress, sadness, frustration, and tears count just as much, and they are just as real.
    I am praying for peace and hope for you and the family, and that seeing the parts of your life that are good and beautiful will not make you feel conflicted or guilty, but will simply encourage you that our Father sees you and will provide GOOD things for you in this situation, just as He has before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say that I hang on your every word. Your blog is one of two blogs that I come to for the writing. You are great at communicating! Do you have a degree in English or something?

    Second, I'm really sorry about your "white girl problems." Having to move yet again would be the pits. It's not about the packing and unpacking, it's about the change and the uprooting and the change again. I'm sorry. Even though they're white girl problems, they're still problems.

    Third, I had no idea you didn't want to leave Portland THAT bad. You are a travelling trooper!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. caroline. i remember having coffee and tears with you over this same stuff when i first moved to pdx. and god used you to comfort me. i'm praying for his comfort to surround you.
    he doesn't belittle us for our tears. you are his treasure he has found and picked up and cherishes...
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play the “It could be worse” game all the time, especially this week. But the thing is, every time someone comes to me with something they are upset about and they try to play that game, I cut them off. Yes, there is someone out there with worse problems, but whatever it is that is upsetting you at that moment is important to you and to our Father. Whatever it is you are going through is what you are supposed to be dealing with, not whatever it is that someone in a worse position is experiencing down the street, across the country, on the other side of the world. God does not minimize our pain because someone else He loves is going through something harder. Every day I am in the homes of my clients who have much, much worse lives that I do, but I have yet to find a way for their pain to ease my own and I still come home and am frustrated, angry, sad about the things I want, need, or think I need. Sometimes it is good to step back for a minute and recognize that someone else has it worse, but that in no way means that what we are going through is any less important. If God knows the number of hairs we have on our head and has complete control over how many we lose, then I am confident He cares deeply about each and every moment of our day and the ways in which those moments affect us. Do not let your feelings of guilt prevent you from calling out to Him about your pain, frustration, sadness, and thankfulness over a day of sunshine and treasures in the sand. He has not let the problems of others prevent His love and concern over you and your struggles.

    I want you to be happy there, but we still want you here so much! I know that doesn’t help.

    You are loved, missed, thought of so very often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friends! Thank you so much for these words of encouragement and life. I guess we all need each other in this pilgrimage and none of us can go at it alone, eh? I am reminded this day of worship of the words of one of my favorite hymns,

    Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
    Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
    Jesus ready stands to save you,
    Full of pity, love and power.

    I will arise and go to Jesus,
    He will embrace me in His arms;
    In the arms of my dear Savior,
    O there are ten thousand charms.

    Thank you all for your love and care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going over some quotes I have kept from one of my favorite books, Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry....two seem helpful or encouraging right now.

    "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks. I am not all the way capable of so much, but those are the right instructions."

    "If you know you don't know anything about the future, and if you believe that with God all things are possible, then you have to think that something good may happen."

    ReplyDelete