Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Night with the Pentecostals

"Brothers and Sisters.  Sometimes God TURNS UP THE HEAT in our lives."
"Amen."
"Hallelujah."
"That's right."
"Say it, preacher."
(with an even louder voice) "But I'm here to tell you today that GOD is in control of your thermostat!"
"Hallelujah."
"That's right."
"Speak it, Preacher."
"Sometimes he calls us to the fire.  But I'm here today to tell you that GAAWWD is REfining you.  Like gold, brothers and sisters, that you will be more like him."
"Preach."
"That's right, brother."
"Amen."
"Hallelujah."

Last night I had the privilege of attending church with my friend Anne.  Anne is from Belize.  She has worked on the North Shore as a nanny for almost twenty years.  She currently works for the family of one of Eleanor's best Kindergarten buddies.  Anne is a Christian, and she is my friend.  We have gotten to know one another through shared play dates and mutually depending on one another's help both for friendship and help with the girls.  I told Anne that some day I'd like to go to church with her.  Last week she invites me to attend the first night of her church's revival.

I drive down to the city and park only a short 2 1/2 miles from our neighborhood.  But, despite being only a few El stops apart, our neighborhoods are worlds away. I've been told that, except for Haiti and Miami, Chicago has the largest population of Haitians in the world.  Anne's church is a humble storefront with four flags behind the pulpit- a Haitian, an United States, a Belizean, and a Jamaican.  There are no bulletins- too expensive to print.  There is no heat- too expensive to pay for the gas (yes, we are still running the heat in Chicago).  Anne is waiting for me on the curb when I pull up to park.  A young girl steps out of the convenience store next door and Anne greets her warmly.  She walks away and Anne tells me, "Her mother died last year.  Shot.  A stray bullet went through her car window.  Caught in the cross fire of gangs.  She had leukemia, but, well, I guess she never had to worry about paying for the doctor.   A bullet got her first."  I'm not really sure how to respond.

We enter the church.  While I'm warmly welcomed I'm also aware of being noticed for being different, and I can't help but wonder, "Is this how Anne feels everyday standing in the Kindergarten playground...the only black face in a sea of white suburban housewives?."

The service doesn't begin until an hour after the scheduled time.  There is a guest preacher from South Chicago who says in his welcome, "Thank you for welcoming a preacher up from the Hood."  I guess everything is relative.  After some seriously loud singing, clapping, tambourine playing, and praying the guest preacher is invited to the pulpit.  And he begins to preach.  His wife is in the second row offering a steady stream of "That's right!" and "Come on, Preacher!."  I begin to contemplate trying this at Grace.  Maybe it'd get Jason going.

As the clock nears 10pm he is still preaching with everyone still actively listening.  I lean over to Anne and tell her that Jason is probably starting to worry, and I should go home.  Driving home I can't help but be amazed at God- at the complexity of His church, His people, His diversity in the nations.  And I can't help but be awed at the timely message from a lively South Chicago preacher about being faithful in trials.  It is an 'ah hah!' moment as I realize not only God's goodness to me and to others, but I realize how diverse and huge this city is to which He has called us.  I may live in the elite North Shore, but my home can be this entire city.  There are millions of people, cultures, and opportunities to serve.  It is exciting really.  I look forward to exploring the infinite opportunities available to us, and I realize with joy the blessing- a blessing I might have never chosen on my own- which has been dropped in my life.

And some good news...we signed a two year lease this morning.  On July 1st we will be moving to a 2 bedroom/2bath condo two blocks from the girls' school.  It is going to mean some simplifying, but we think it is also going to mean some freedom.  It is fresh, new, and has lots of space.  We are excited, thankful, and looking forward to being settled for a few years.  Thank you for all your prayers, notes, calls, and love. I appreciate you all!

1 comment:

  1. Whoohoo!! I am so excited about your condo!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete