Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I just finished my second novel this month.  Not anything to brag about for you voracious readers out there, but for me it is a minor victory.  A completely different type of book from Freedom, The Help is another great example of the kind of story telling that pulls me so deeply into the world of its creation that the characters themselves seem to travel in the back seat of my car.  Stockett's use of the first person voice for multiple characters is incredibly well done.  She moves from chapter to chapter with an adeptness that is enviable.   The relationships between black maids, "the help," and their "white women" are fascinatingly complicated.   Despite being raised in a much bigger Southern city a generation later, I found I identified with Stockett's insights into living in the South.  She writes with a deep love of the South as she brings to life real characters who you will grow to love and to hate.  There is no South bashing or South praising, but rather there is a good story that will keep you up late at night to find out just what will be on that last page.
Read a more thorough review at
The Washington Post

Or check out the cast for the upcoming movie

4 comments:

  1. The only thing better than that book is your review. Again, Caroline, you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book so, so much! I read it very early in the year and it's stayed on my mind since then. I was just reading last night about the filming of the movie. It comes out late next year and I think it's going to be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a while back and enjoyed it. I have discussed the book with my friend who remembers these times well in the South, and I also remember the days when I was at school in Fla. and the old white-only bathrooms and water fountains were still around, though outlawed. My other friend who read the book grew up in France as a military brat, and she was shocked that these events even happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is our January book for the neighborhood book club first meeting!

    ReplyDelete