Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oz Park



"Mommy, I don't think Google knows what they are talking about," say Eleanor and Rynn simultaneously as I turn down another wrong street in my attempt to explore Lincoln Park this morning.  Perhaps my wee ones have more wisdom than they know.  Google took us on a one hour journey to find a park that was only fifteen minutes from our front door.   I wanted to get out of the house today and explore another Chicago neighborhood. Not quite up for conquering the Lincoln Park zoo but still wanting to explore this cool neighborhood, I decided we would go on a journey to find a park mentioned in Frommer's "Chicago."  Called Oz Park in honor of Frank L. Baum who resided in the city in the late 19th c., the park has both wide green spaces, a beautiful garden, and a fun playground (complete with a yellow brick road).  Since the girls just saw the Wizard of Oz for the first time last week they were very excited to see life size sculptures of the famous characters.





A fellow teacher and mentor during my year teaching at Episcopal High School in Houston told me, "All stories can usually fit in one of two categories.  Either a hero goes on a journey or A Stranger comes to town."  As protagonists in the plot of our own lives we all find ourselves experiencing both of these plot lines.  I think the Wizard of Oz is so timeless because it appeals to those deep desires both for adventure and for a place of belonging and home.  Who doesn't want a heart, a brain, and the courage to use them all while journeying toward that place where we can finally rest?  


The Tin Man

The Cowardly Lion


The Scarecrow









3 comments:

  1. I think of the Wizard of Oz as a Kansas story....how neat to find this treasure in Chicago. I watched the movie yearly all through my growing up years. You three are following the yellow brick road to find and be at home in your new city!

    Looks like a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the orange dress!!! And way to pair it with flip-flops-so chattanooga!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now you MUST go see Wicked!

    ReplyDelete