Saturday, April 17, 2010

Try Kombucha

Ever tried Kombucha?  Despite the appearance that I have been collecting bottles from an apothecary, I can claim no other addiction than to my new favorite treat- locally brewed KOMBUCHA made by Portland's Townshend Tea company and distributed by our neighborhood Whole Foods.  What is it you ask?  Served bottled or on tap, Kombucha is a sparkling fermented tea which tastes not really like tea nor like sparkling water but rather like something completely new.  Some claim that it has health benefits such as a boosted immune system and the like, but the reason I come clamoring to the Whole Foods tea counter is for an experience of bubbly delightfulness that is entirely unique.
Townshend Tea is the first company in Oregon to receive a small business loan from Whole Foods to expand its operation and supply a local unique product (read more about their story in the Oregonian).  To my Portland readers, if you have not yet tried Kombucha, swing by Townshend's on Alberta or the Hollywood Whole Foods for a delightful afternoon sparkly treat.  The White Rose is my favorite.  And to those of you outside of Oregon or Washington, you'll just have to take my word for it (as it is only distributed in Oregon and Washington...for now, anyway).  Yum, yum, and more yum.  

1 comment:

  1. Caroline, I just sent you an email update - kombucha has spread east!

    ReplyDelete