Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back in the Groove

Eleanor's First Ever Ballet Lesson
She immediately went out and began twirling and dancing.








For 45 minutes Eleanor was at rapt attention hoping to learn to be a beautiful swan for Swan Lake.










Rynn's First Ice Skating Lesson
She Was AMAZING!!!


Rynn and her good buddy, Quinn


Rynn getting some tips from her friend Aya.

Bruised backside and skinned knees...and she was still asking for more!



Six days into January and the Little crew is back on a routine. How quickly the pace of life seems to go with the schedules of church, school, and life in general. Somehow, when I was mired down in diapers and the relentless demands of toddlers and babies, I looked ahead to these years imagining that when my children were almost five and seven that I'd be reading the New York Times every day while drinking a latte at the local coffee shop. And, there is some truth to that dream which has come to fruition. I might catch the front page of the NY Times over a quick cup of coffee maybe once every other week now that we are back "in the groove." The return of the quiet of January was written like bliss on the faces of mothers everywhere, and I, too, stole a morning away to drink a cup of coffee and play with my dog.

The thing I didn't realize when my girls were young was that, as they grew, their involvement in the world would grow too. As their little muscles, bones, and teeth stretch and expand so too do their relationships. They have lives now, friends, activities, and desires. I have shunned activities for many years trying to avoid busyness, but now they are asking in earnest to try things, to discover their world. And, thanks to Portland Parks and Recreation, dozens of options are available to them at really affordable prices.

But the thing Jason and I have noted as of late is that, while the worlds of our children continue to expand, their need for the security and stability of family is expanding to a greater depth. They need us in new ways. They ask for "Pajama days with just our family." They want to sit in my lap more now than when they were two. They imitate us in good and bad ways. I sometimes feel that being a parent is like going through the growing up process all over again. Just when I think I have a hold on things everything changes, new challenges arise, and the world presses in upon us. It is humbling to always feel a step behind, but exhilarating to watch the change unfold before my eyes. These days are so precious. These ages of four (almost five!) and six (almost seven!) are so much fun. I feel more alive myself as I live with these little lives and share in their imaginations, dreams, and learning. And, I am thankful.




2 comments:

  1. Jason took ice hockey lessons when in kindergarten and LOVED it, but we moved to Mesa, AZ and then Texas...no ice skating prominent those places THEN. Now, it would be a different story in Dallas. Glad Rynn likes the challenge and fun. Sweet pictures of the dancer! Makes me remember Gretchen's first voyage into dance at about the same age. She had a purple tutu for her recital which Terry wore for Halloween one year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had toddlers, so I'm not sure, but it seems like the advent of elementary school is the beginning of the most strenuous season of life, helping our kids experience as much of the world as possible while still trying to maintain some kind of sane boundaries. Ballet and ice skating! Quite different from our football and wrestling on this end! Adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete