Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Colorado Wildness

Our last day hiking out through an aspen grove with a view of the Uncompahgre Wilderness. That mountain in the far distance on the left (white on the bottom with a shaded 'triangle' on top) is the one we are standing one below...

Jason and I on top of Mt. Uncompahgre
No. I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, although there were moments that I thought I might as Jason coached me through an ice field using my ice ax so I wouldn't slip and slide 1000 feet. As I sit here drinking a glass of red wine in my quiet house (the rest of my family is coming home in two days), I cannot believe that four days ago I was standing on top of a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado. No wonder I feel like I just took a shot of Oxygen now that I'm back home at almost sea level!

A little less than two weeks ago we left for Colorado for vacation. We met Jason's parents in Ft. Collins to take the girls on their first real camping trip. We had a wonderful time camping with Terry and Cathy. The highlights includeded exploring the old ghost town of St. Elmo and watching Jason cut his finger almost to the bone while trying to carve a stick on which to roast a hot dog. While Terry, the girls, and I stayed back at camp and ate S'mores, Cathy and Jason spent the day in the emergency room getting Jason stitches in his left index finger. Fortunately, with the wonder of antibiotics and a few stitches, the doctors sent Jason on his merry way to begin his next adventure with me. With some hugs and kisses we said goodbye to Rynn, Eleanor, Terry, and Cathy as they headed back to Ft. Collins. We met up with our friend from Portland, Anna, to begin a five day loop hike in the Uncompahgre Wilderness. It was, by far, the most intense backpacking trip I have ever been on with Jason. Over the course of five days and five nights we hiked probably over 35 miles with 30+ lb packs on our backs up several 12,000 foot passes and one 14,000 foot mountain! We saw bears, elk, deer, porcupines, and yet not a single other backpacker during our five days out. You can check out the pictures of our trip at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27767420@N02/sets/72157620417920924/.

It was amazing! I'm exhausted, happy, and very glad to see my bed tonight.




My foot next to a bear track in the snow!

4 comments:

  1. glad you all are home safe. the pictures are amazing. it looks like you had a variety of weather. what a beautiful place to hike! talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary! Glad to have you writing again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!

    and that's all i have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of you. What wonderful pictures, thanks! And welcome back.

    ReplyDelete