Monday, February 2, 2009

Curly Girl




It's official. Today is my coming out day. It is time to stop pretending and announce to the world. I DON'T HAVE STRAIGHT HAIR. For the last six years I have sought a haircut every six weeks, I have spent countless hours rubbing serum through my hair and tackling it with the flat iron, and I have vigorously washed it in hopes that it might suddenly come under control. In my mind I was Caroline of the straight and sleek stacked bob- the haircut my five year old adorns so effortlessly. Even Jason would say to me as I awoke with a mop of curls after a night of going to bed with wet hair, "Caroline, you should try brushing your hair." IF ONLY A BRUSH WOULD DO THE TRICK!!!. A brush only sent my hair into a poof ball of Methuselah's frizz making it appear that I had set some over fluffed rodent on my head. Thanks to the cumulative advice of a few friends and to Portland's unrelenting moist environment, I have come to realize that curls need to be embraced. A visiting friend from Chattanooga recommended a book she found enlightening called Curly Girl. As I always do, I went to my online library to get in line for this hair Bible, only to find I was number 54 in line. Apparently, I'm not the only one who needs advice. So, today, I realize the freedom of being true to oneself (let's not bring up color...entirely different subject), the freedom of only washing my hair once/week, and the freedom of confidently going out of the house with a bed head.

Leasons Learned from trying to take a self portrait of oneself while husband is at the gym and self has been awake since 5:30am: Don't try this at home. May result in unattractive photos.

5 comments:

  1. Oh to have curly hair! As a girl with boring straight hair that never does anything, no matter how hard I coax it, I am officially envious of curly hair. I have a friend with curly hair whose hair went completely straight when she got married and went on the pill. It was so frustrating for her, she ended up getting a perm because CURLY HAIR IS EASIER! I could never in a million years get away with washing my hair only once a week - it would be a grease bomb. Count yourself blessed and embrace the curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now just to be fair, I said "you have crazy hair" not "you should try brushing your hair."

    I like the curls and the girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embrace the curls!

    It had to be Jennifer that told you about the book. I'm always amazed at her knowledge of curly hair, considering that she has straight hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hair looks adorable in it's curly state. When I read this, I thought of Nizi and all the trouble she has with her nappy hair. I put a picture up on our blog. Anyone would feel grateful if they knew the ordeal Nizi has to go through to manage her hair! Enjoy your curls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline, I love this!! Congratulations!! I am so excited you are joining the curly girls of the world! I must suggest a great product. Jason's Curl Defining Cream, yes it is your husband's brand. :) It is the best stuff I have found. It does not leave your hair feeling sticky or heavy. I get it at Greenlife, I am sure it would be easier to find in Portland's stores.

    ReplyDelete