Thursday, July 17, 2008

Like Crack Cocaine

I think I have finally arrived. Tonight, as I sipped a glass of white wine on my front porch in the waning summer light and seventy degree temperatures, I had my groceries delivered to me from New Seasons Market. It was a benign offer in the paper "First Deliver is free, so is the second, so is the third. By then, we're convinced you'll be hooked." I admit it. Hey, even the ad practically admits it. Like Crack Cocaine, the first hit is free. But, boy, does it taste good going down. I shopped online, bought only specials and sale items, got all my essential bulk pantry items like grains, rice, dried beans, and I threw in a pound of local cherries. Why not? I wasn't even paying for the gas or the bag of animal crackers to get my children through the grocery store! I think the 21st century and the big city conveniences are agreeing with me. Just don't mention the economy, the fault line under our city that might result in a catastrophic earthquake in the next fifty years, or that we are bombing the Middle East. For tonight anyway, I'm just gloating that I got an organic mango for 50 cents delivered to my door.

2 comments:

  1. Kate and Phil used to have their produce delivered to their door, too, in S.F. and I have searched and searched for a company in Santa Barbara that will do the same. I even seriously considered starting a grocery delivery company myself! But there's nothing like that to be found in good ole' S.B. We have a farmer's market every day of the week in this town, and I think people around here are just really into getting out and selecting their own products. Bummer for me. I hate digging around for my cash and fighting the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like crack cocaine...

    unbelievable.
    how about, 'Like good coffee'
    or 'like dark chocolate.'
    can you add a picture of a crack pipe?

    ReplyDelete