Thursday, July 24, 2008

Food and Such

(Photo pillaged from the internet...an Oregon Marionberry)

So, I've been thinking a lot about food lately. Perhaps it is the fault of a book a friend lent to me, the New York Times Bestseller IN DEFENSE OF FOOD by Michael Pollen, or the one I just started by Barbara Kingsolver titled ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE. Both books make essentially the same argument- that, as Americans, we do not know enough about where our food comes from, what is in it, how much gas it took to get it to us, and how what we consume is affecting our bodies. I haven't read enough of Kingsolver's book yet to recommend it (although I love her writing), but I heartedly recommend Pollen's book. It is easy to be self righteous living in Oregon since we live in this lucious fruit basket that seems to be overflowing in produce, but these books have made me think. The thing they've made me think most about (aside from clinging to the outside edge of the grocery stores and avoiding the middle) is about trying to buy food that is both less processed and closer to home. It has been fun to see the joy the children are finding in walking to the farmer's market to see what is in season and what looks yummy. Today, on a whim, while driving back from Rynn's haircut, we stopped by a local farm to pick raspberries. As the children ran at least 100 yards ahead of me, they shouted, "This is SO fun!!." With their teeth and faces stained with fresh raspberries, marionberries, and blueberries, we filled a flat with the most amazing tasting berries I have ever tasted. I know this isn't a reality for everyone, and I'm so thankful that for however long we are in Oregon it is a reality of ours. If you don't have time to pick up IN DEFENSE OF FOOD, at least ask yourself this, "What is in my food? And, where did it come from?." You might be surprised! We were!

No comments:

Post a Comment