Monday, April 21, 2008

Library Fun Facts

Portland Fun Fact of the Week:
Did you know? "The only library in the U.S. with higher annual circulation than Portland's libraries is Queens, New York which serves a population more than three times the size of Multnomah County (2.2 million v. 693,000), has more than three times the number of libraries (64 v. 17) and has a collection that's over three times larger (6.6 million v. 1.9 million)." So, basically, that translates as Portlanders read a lot. Maybe it is the rain and the cool temps EVEN IN APRIL! I think it also has a bit to do with the ethos of the city, but whatever it is... I like it.

So that little bit of info is from the April issue of our library periodical (yes, we get one free in the mail...amazing, I know). The Little family currently has checked out from our local library 39 books and DVDs which I can conveniently renew online up to 42 times. Crazy. So, the library has become a weekly adventure for the girls and me...which brings me to the subject of books. I have read some really great books in the last few months, but just finished one of the best written books that I have read in a long time. MIDDLESEX by Jeffrey Eugenides is an amazing book. His point of view as narrator, as story teller, as a struggling human being in this world, is absolutely excellent. I feel kind of sad having finished it, and sort of at a lost since the girls and I have not yet made our weekly trek down to our library to find a new book. Some other good ones (although not even in the same league as Eugenides' book) that I've recently enjoyed - Geraldine Brooks' PEOPLE OF THE BOOK, Barbara Kingsolver's THE BEAN TREES, and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS by I can't remember. Any other good suggestions? I NEED A BOOK! Hint. hint...this is a good time for you non-commenting readers out there to leave a note... come on, people, throw me a bone...what's your favorite book?

6 comments:

  1. We're reading Jane Eyre this month for bookclub. Read it? I'm sure you have! Wish I could come up with a better book. But right now I have "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller sitting on my shelf wanting me to read it. Not so much time for books these days though. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, if you liked The Bean Trees, have you read Kingsolver's, Poisonwood Bible? It's one of my all time favorite books. It still haunts me with it's poetry. Also, the sequel to The Bean Trees is good--Pigs in Heaven. I just finished reading A Long Way Gone, by Ishamael Beah--about child soldiers in Sierra Leon. It's pretty good, but leaves a knot in the stomach. I read The Kite Runner over spring Break--hated it. It's was too violent for me. I've been on a depressing book kick, it seems. For a very quick and light hearted read, try Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency--the main character is a female detective in Botswana. These books are funny and warm. I read them before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Poisonwood Bible...didn't realize Pigs in Heaven was the sequel to Bean Trees. THanks for the tip! And, A Long Way Gone was an amazing story just from the perspective that he was ever even able to write his story. It is actually Portland's "Everybody Reads" Book of the Year. And confession time...I have not read jane eyre. it is about time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline, I forgot to mention Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. Awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog... do non-fiction books count?

    ReplyDelete