Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hope at the Old Laurelhurst Church


Many of you have asked how the church is going. Having never done this before I can only say with my limited experience, "Great!." Each week brings new faces which has been very exciting. Our children skip out of church happy and excited to return as they call it our church with a care that inspires me.
Church planting, for me, has been scary, exciting, overwhelming, incredibly humbling, and definitely life changing. Sometimes it feels like we are holding a new baby, and I want every person who comes to gaze at her to grab hold of her and say with confidence, "I want this. I want to see this baby grow and to be a part." It is challenging to be so intimately connected, to care so much, and to be patient and wait as new people come 'check it out.' Sometimes they grab hold of the baby with eagerness, sometimes they smile politely and walk away, and sometimes they just walk away. It is difficult to not want to control everything and everyone so that it will all 'work.' I'm learning in new ways to rest in Jesus, to trust Him with His church, and to love this 'baby' as my own because in the end it is way more than mine...it is Christ's who died for and lives for his bride, the Church.







1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I think the new baby metaphor is an apt one for church planting...as we well know from our experiences in church planting here in Colorado. We continue to pray for you and for Hope!

    ReplyDelete