Monday, May 26, 2008

Pink, Pink, Baby


One of the rite of passages of childhood is that wonderful, sticky, gooey, pink eye known as 'pink eye.' One of the rite of passages of motherhood is that wondeful, sticky, gooey, pink eye also known as 'pink eye.' When Eleanor's eyes begin to glow bright pink last week I began the vigorous hand washing and obsessive counter wiping in my fight against that wonderful bacteria called conjunctivitis (sp?). My valient attempts were in vain, though, as Saturday morning I awoke to eyes pasted shut in crusty goo. Somehow I didn't remember this part of it- that gross glue that seals your eyes shut in slumber and refuses to give way when morning dawns.
So, today is Memorial Day, and I'm feeling blue because it is supposed to be the beginning of summer, and instead it is 48 degrees. So, per the suggestion of my mom, I decided to take the girls to soak in the Kennedy School outdoor pool, have lunch, and then check in to the family matinee for HORTON HEARS A WHO. We had a fun day, and I found out that pink eyes mean more than simply 'pink eye' in Northeast Portland. As I asked a waitress/bartender where to buy the movie tickets (the Kennedy School is a renovated school turned bar/hotel/movie theater/music venue/and any other fun thing you can think of), I received a compassionate look of understanding. "Yeah, I know how it is the day after, "she said smiling. I walked away confused, and then it dawned on me as I sat down to lunch and was greeted with a wry smile from the waiter. "You want a glass or a pint today", he said with a chuckle.
"What is it with these people?, " I wondered. Can't a mom take her kids to lunch on Memorial Day? OHhhhhh...I get it. He thinks I've been smokin' something, drinking something, something-something. "No! Wait!," I want to shout, "It's PINK EYE! You know, that nasty little bacteria you catch from kids?." But, I didn't. I sat back, smiled, and ordered some grilled cheese with tater tots. At least the green goo wasn't running down the corner of my eye. Although, maybe then, I would have gotten a free beer.

1 comment:

  1. OOOOOOOH.....looks painful! Terry had little patience with his pink eye...hopefully all will be well by Friday! Keep Rynn isolated!

    WE have your rain and cool temperatures...but it is a welcomed change from our usually dry weather.

    ReplyDelete