Wednesday, December 5, 2007

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree



Price of:
Three gallons of gas to drive to Mollala, OR to pick up a stranded Jason: $9.45
Two MacDonald's Happy Meals along the way: $6
One TEN FOOT tall Noble Fir: $35
Chance to make fun of Jason for dropping his car keys into a whitewater river: Priceless




A tired mommy. A tired, grumpy two year old who finally falls asleep. The feeling of relief as silence descends upon the house and I can sit with my cup of tea and new found knitting hobby. The dread as the phone rings, and Jason says, "uh, caroline, can you, uh, come get me down here in Mollala? My keys fell out of a hole in my pocket while portaging my kayak around this really nasty strainer."
"Are you kidding?, " I reply in disbelief. "Wake up Eleanor, pick up Rynn, and drive down to get you?." I mean, how far does a wife's love go??? After gathering my thoughts, I realized that Jason could indeed wait a few hours for Eleanor to wake up, for Rynn to finish her school day, and for us to make the journey down to retrieve our wet river rat. As mild irritation brewed to the surface it occured to me, "Hey, why not turn this into an adventure and get our Christmas tree!." Oregon, after all, is the birthplace for most of the nation's Christmas trees. So, it was with great excitement that we stopped on the side of the road and bought a TEN foot tall tree for a mere $35 from a kind man with no teeth. There are some advantages to living in an evergreen state....and to losing your keys in whitewater.





















2 comments:

  1. Such sweet scenes...that one of Eleanor is very precious indeed. She looks like her Nana in that one! Fun story.
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, so good to get a few minutes with you. We'll try again! Hugs to all - Helen

    ReplyDelete