Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Let the Season Begin...

Did I miss something? Am I late on Christmas? Did it somehow sneak up on anyone else this year? With a solid week left of November our neighborhood is already ablaze with Christmas lights. Taking my trash out this evening I watched my neighbors struggling in the rain to illuminate a light filled reindeer. Perhaps it is the darkness here which settles heavily by 4:30pm that draws Portlanders to lights- lots of lights. Illuminated reindeer, rainbow lights, and houses neatly trimmed in white lights all seem to defy Portland's self righteous environmentalism. It is though all blue state moralism is suspended for just a few weeks so that maybe we can believe in something, something brighter than the early darkness and holiday bustle.
So, it was no surprise when Rynn and Eleanor began begging for our own Christmas lights and stockings to be hung. Dragging my feet, hoping to at least make it to December, I was thrilled when a box from Nana arrived today with a Fisher-Price Nativity set inside. We played on the floor for over an hour reading the Nativity story and playing with plastic camels and a baby Jesus. We had all the lights in the house turned off so they could see the star light turn on and hear Away in a Manger when we pressed the angel. I guess I could say I'm in the spirit. So...let it begin. Fa la la la la la la la la.


2 comments:

  1. My kids got that nativity set from Grandparents last year for Christmas. As we got out decorations they were thrilled to get to play with the "new" Christmas toys. They've been non-stop playing with it. And its great to have such a hands on one that is all their own to teach them the story of Jesus coming to earth. Caleb's favorite is the spike haired donkey and Alice of course loves all babies including baby Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying the daily life of my grandbabies...who are not babies anymore. How did this happen?

    Grammy

    ReplyDelete